Sunday, March 14, 2010

Another overnighter

The weather was so good that I had to use the opportunity to do a short overnighter, despite a slight flu. It was neither too cold nor too warm (which would soften the trails). The temperature was a few degrees below freezing with a nighttime low of around -8°C.

I started at 20:00 in the evening. The sun hade already set 1.5 hours earlier.


The trails are in hard and good shape, but they are very narrow. Typically there is about 20 cm of usable steering area, outside which the front wheel quickly sinks down. There is around 40 cm of snow currently.


I rode from my home trails in Varissuo around the lake of Littoinen, through the forest of Vyyryläisenmäki, through Kaarina and to the trails of Ala-Lemu. At Vaarniemi, after a little under 3 hours, I found a spot with nice view westwards. I went to sleep in my sleeping bag and bivy bag, just as a light snowfall started.


Around 6 o'clock in the morning it started to get light and I slowly started to wake up. The morning coffee and porridge were consumed while waiting for the sun to rise, which happened 6:55.


The camp site.


I packed my bike and started going at 7:30. It was a beautiful morning.


The Fargo takes what is needed for this kind of a trip with ease, without having to use a backpack. I did have a small fanny pack for the DSLR, just to test if it would give any better pictures, though.


More nice riding.


The other guys were going on a slightly later morning ride, though there seem to have been some confusion about what gear to bring.

3 comments:

  1. Really nice! These overnighters give a whole new dimension to this great recreation. The night of my overnighter was a little too rough but it seems that I'm not getting sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed. I'm so looking forwards to the spring and summer, when there is enough daylight and it is warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I am seriously considering the Fargo xxl XT. What kind of shifters do you use? It seems like you are not using the bar-end shifters the Fargo comes with. Are the Tiagra/105 shifters compatible with the Deore XT deraillers?
    Håvard, Norway

    ReplyDelete